Goal of the Course
This introductory course provides foundational information about the neurobiology and prevalence of opioid use disorder (OUD), the whole-person care framework and best practices, treatment and recovery supports for OUD, and supporting housing stability for individuals with OUD. While the principles in this course apply broadly to best practices for working with individuals with SUD, the focus throughout will be on individuals who are experiencing homelessness and OUD.
Please review all of the information about the course on this page, particularly the steps required to receive a certificate of completion.
To begin the course, register or login using the button at the top right-hand side of the webpage. You'll only need to register once to access future courses from HHRC.
Course Learning Objectives
- Describe key principles of whole-person care, including trauma-informed care and person-centered techniques to engage people experiencing homelessness with an OUD
- Describe best practices for treating OUD including using a medication, psychosocial interventions, and recovery supports
- Identify practical strategies to help improve health and housing outcomes for people experiencing homelessness with an OUD
Throughout the course, you will have the opportunity to respond to journal prompts and reflect on the information provided to identify key takeaways that you will use in your practice. There are quizzes throughout the course, which must be passed with an 80 percent score in order to continue with the course. You have an unlimited number of attempts for these quizzes. All activities are required to complete the course successfully.
This course is self-paced, and you can start and stop as you wish. We estimate the course will take 3.0 hours to complete.
Continuing Education Units
This course is accredited for 3.0 CEUs from the National Association of Social Workers.
Bookmarks, Note Pad, and Take a Moment Exercises
Throughout the course, there are several features that you can use to bookmark key passages and capture your thoughts:
- Bookmark: Use this feature for key sections of the course you would like to return to.
- Note Pad: Use this feature to make notes throughout the course about your questions or ideas.
- Take a Moment: Throughout the course, you will respond to prompts that help you capture your ideas on applying this information.
- You can access your bookmarks, note pad, and answers to the Take a Moment exercises from this page.
Certificate of Completion
To receive a certificate of completion, you will need to:
- Read all of the course articles
- Pass each quiz with an 80% or higher score
- Complete all of the Take a Moment exercises
- Complete the final evaluation
- Mental Health: Serious Mental Illness
- Mental Health: Mental health treatment
- Co-occurring Disorders
- Substance Use: Substance use prevention
- Substance Use: Substance use treatment
- Housing Models: Recovery Housing
- Outreach and Engagment: Street outreach
- Outreach and Engagment: Motivational Interviewing
- Treatment Models : Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT)
- Treatment Models : Harm reduction
- Supportive Services: Peer Services / Supports