article Learning Community: Trauma-Informed Outreach and Engagement
This Learning Community will cover the fundamentals of trauma-informed care and best practices for outreach to and engagement with individuals experiencing homelessness who have a serious mental illness (SMI), serious emotional disturbance (SED), substance use disorder (SUD), or co-occurring disorders (COD).
Session 1: Trauma-Informed Care: Responding to the Trauma of Homelessness, June 7, 2022, 2:30-4:00pm ET
This session will provide foundational information on trauma and the fundamentals of providing Trauma-Informed Care (TIC) from the lens of working to engage and provide services for people with behavioral health needs who are also experiencing homelessness.
Session 2: Best Practices for Person-Centered Outreach, June 21, 2:30-4:00pm ET
This session will cover best and emerging practices for conducting outreach and engagement with individuals experiencing SMI, SED, SUD, or COD who are also experiencing homelessness.
Session 3: Making the Connection to the Homelessness Response System, July 12, 2:30-4:00pm ET
This session will help participants understand the basics of Coordinated Entry and how to connect people to housing and housing-related resources in the homeless response system.
Session 4: Providing Behavioral Health Care in Unsheltered Environments, August 2, 2:30-4:00pm ET
This session will offer information, examples, and guidance on conducting behavioral health care assessments and providing behavioral health services in encampments and other unsheltered environments.
- Housing Models: Housing First
- Outreach and Engagment: PATH
- Outreach and Engagment: Assertive Community Treatment (ACT)
- Outreach and Engagment: Street outreach
- Outreach and Engagment: Coordinated entry
- Outreach and Engagment: Motivational Interviewing
- Outreach and Engagment: Point-in-Time Counts
- Supportive Services: Peer Services / Supports
- Specialized Partnerships: HUD Continuum of Care (CoC)